Thursday, December 24, 2009

Mosaic Time Again

Local artist Julee Latimer needed a piece to be photographed.

Julee's mosaics have been the trickiest things yet that I have photographed.  Shiny little objects that are either semi-opaque, shiny and reflective, or both.  As well, the latest piece is not flat, but a sculptured wavey shape.  So I also wanted to have some nice shadows to show the shape.

I went with pointing a flash at the wall to cast a nice soft shadow on the piece.  As well, I used the Orbis Ring Flash to fill the shadows.



Once we got this piece finished, Julee had a few more pieces that had not yet been photographed.





This piece is installed on the fence outside.  I took a few shots without any flashes, and then had a flash on either side.  The difference was subtle, but I think very important.  The flashes added that "pop" that lifts the image just that little bit.  Each tile has a tiny little glint.  As well, the grout looks good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment